Thursday, November 5, 2009

News Of Choice 3


Bananas, A Storied Fruit with an Uncertain Future

- Summary

A Banana, most Americans prefer fruit, have some endangered future. According to Dan Koeppel who is Popular Science writer, banana's unique reproductive system— each new fruit is a genetic duplicate of the next —makes it especially susceptible to epidemics.

- Reaction

When I found this article, I feel really hartbreaking. Because Banana is one of my favorait breakfast. Anyway, whenever I hear "genetically modified food" like Banana, I don't think that is good idea. Because I heard that gene manipulation has some side effect. Also, I think that nature is fine when it was natural.

Green words = use dictionary

- Source

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19097412


4 comments:

  1. I love bananas in my breakfast too. The genetical manipulation is the new pilar or food production.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, I agree with article but the reality I don't like bannana so much! many fruits have many benefit to our body not only bannana ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, this is such an interesting subject! I like your reaction.

    I wrote something on your NOC3 paper - about bananas & genetically modified (GM) food.
    It's important that we separate the idea of scary GM food and normal, natural GM food.
    1. Humans have been keeping seeds and plant cuttings for much of our history. This is part of farming. The fact that we eat ONE variety of banana is a result of hundreds of years of choosing the best banana plant to cut and grow. Today's bananas are not the result of genetic manipulation, but the result of "breeding". Most wild bananas are inedible (we can't eat)!
    2. Number 1 is different from the creepy, strange things science is doing today with our food - combining apple genes and orange genes to make a new fruit, for example.
    Is this clear? I think it is an interesting topic. Any questions? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you, Now I understand exactly. So, Banana is not the GM food. It just result of breeding. In this article, "banana's unique reproductive system" means your number 1, right? So, my reaction was incorrect.

    ReplyDelete